Dahlhart Lane Paper Clay Recipe

Dahlhart Lane Paper Clay Recipe

I found this recipe at dahlhartlane.blogspot.com and it uses more paper than the other paper mache clay recipes that I normally use do, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

I blended and mixed everything as I normally do just as GhoulishCop instructs in his video.


  • 2 cups: Toilet Paper
  • 3/4 cup: All-Purpose Flour
  • 3/4 cup: Elmer's Glue (PVA Glue)
  • 1 cup: Joint Compound
  • 2 tbsp: Linseed Oil

While mixing the ingredients with my drill, the clay was very wet, possibly because my Joint Compound contained more moisture than the instructions accounted for so I had to add another 1/4 cup of flour to the recipe to get it ready for hand kneading. I kneaded the clay with corn starch until it was at the right consistency to keep it shape when pinched or squeezed.

Mixing and getting the clay ready to sculpt with was easy enough. The clay had a nice clay-like consistency to it and felt nice to the touch. Since the paper content was much higher in this recipe than others that I have used, it definitly felt lighter. While sculpting this clay, I did feel pieces of toilet paper flaking out or balling up from time to time. I did not care for this much, but it did not affect the final piece. Additions blended together seamlessly, so it certainly has that going for it. This was by far the biggest feature as I could blend it well enough that there were absolutely no seams.

I did not need to keep my hands nearly as wet as I did with the other lower paper content recipe's.

Once I finished, the clay seemed to dry more quickly than recipes with less paper content do, although, I still let it sit on my drying rack for a couple days under the fan just to make sure. Once it was dry, I could definitely tell that it felt lighter and less solid than GhoulishCop's or Unhinged Productions recipes. It was a bit more flexible as well. It feels like it will hold up and stand the test of time, but it feels more like paper than the other two recipes.

It painted well and did not need to be primered first. Overall, this is an ok recipe. If I try this one again, it will be with the cellulose insulation. I do prefer Jay's and GhoulishCops recipe over this one though.

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published